About Galiano Island
Galiano is named after the eighteeth century Spanish explorer Dionisio Alcalá Galiano, who explored the westcoast of Canada in 1792. Our Island has long been inhabited by aboriginal people from the Penelakut First Nation and used by other Coast Salish nations. With a population of 1,100 Galiano offers a small town ambiance in a tranquil forest to shore setting. The island is 27.5 kms long and never more than 6 kms wide. This narrow, very rural island is the closest to the Mainland, and has three commercial areas: Sturdies Bay where the ferry docks; the Georgeson Bay/Porlier Pass Road intersection; and Montague Harbour. Camping is allowed in Montague Harbour Provincial Park and in Dionisio Provincial Park. At present, the second park can only be accessed by boat. Recreational activities include kayaking, diving, golfing, fishing, cycling and sailing. Hiking trails are found on Bodega Ridge, Mount Galiano, Bluff Park and Pebble Beach Reserve.